Sunday, March 04, 2007

Will You Serve Me?

I was recently driving from one ministry event to another. I had spent the last 2 days doing prayer ministry for pastors and leaders from all over the country who had attended my church's pastors conference and was headed to do more prayer ministry and Scripture reading at a women's retreat. I was drained, weary and not sure how I would be able to be at my best for the next 2 days. As I drove I asked the Lord, "Lord, will you please bless me?" Immediately, I was given ears to hear what it was that I was truly asking the Lord, "Lord, will you serve me?" I was horrified to see the depths of sin that were lurking in my heart.
Tears sprang to my eyes as I agreed with the underlying meaning in my prayer. I quickly confessed the sinful attitude that I was carrying around. I turned from that attitude and asked the Lord to show me how to serve HIM. Amazingly, I was comforted as quickly as I was corrected. The Lord showed me that as I pray for people, I AM serving HIM! HE uses me as a messenger to pray words that His people need to hear. All I do is listen to HIM and then speak what I sense HE is saying to me. For the first time, serving HIM seemed so easy! HE corrected me in seeking for myself to be served but he comforted me in helping me to see that I was serving HIM in the way that HE desired.
That should have been the end of the story, BUT...God is so full of grace and mercy! As I checked into the hotel, the lady who checked me in said as I was walking away, "Oh, the people who arranged the room for you really like you as you will see in a minute." I took the elevator up to my floor and as I stepped out and walked down the long hallway, tears flowed from my eyes because I knew there must have been a welcome basket placed in my room ahead of time. I could hardly believe the grace and mercy that God was pouring out on me after revealing the sinfulness of my heart just moments before. I had asked God for a blessing and even though my heart was in the wrong place when I asked it, God still chose to answer my request and bless me!

No comments: