Monday, November 12, 2007

Fragrance

On my walk this morning, I rounded a corner when all of a sudden a beautiful fragrance captured my full attention. Curious, I slowed down and looked around to see what could possibly smell so wonderful. At the very back of a garden wall I spied a group of Petunias snuggled together! They were few in number but their aroma was powerful and alluring. My mind immediately went to the Scipture that says, “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.” 2 Cor 2:15-16a

Those who have Christ in their lives ARE a fragrance! The fragrance doesn’t dissipate as we move among those who don’t know Christ. We carry the smell of Christ wherever we go! However, those who are lost are either captivated by the fragrance or repulsed by the odor!

This week, I want you to know that you smell! Though few in numbers, your fragrance is noticed, even as you huddle together at the back of the garden! BUT there’s another part to the Scripture I want us to focus on! The section in 2 Corinthians begins with, “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.” 2 Cor 2:14

Soon it will be time to leave the back of the garden and start walking again. I thank God that HE will lead you each in a trimphal procession! I see you throwing Petunias from your basket wherever you go. Some will follow those petals to you and will gain “a knowledge of HIM”. Others will side step those petals! Your job is to throw them with abandon as you step into that triumphal procession! The scene reminds me of the time that King David danced with all of his heart as he led the procession of the Ark back into Jerusalem. His wife looked down on him with contempt, but others joined in the celebration! He was an aroma that others could smell!

Let’s remember that we smell! Let’s begin to dance! Let’s trust God to lead us in triumphal processions! We are the fragrance of LIFE!!! I’m breathing deeply! I’m captivated by your fragrance!

No comments: